Well after just a few months of reading I've hit the wall. All the books I'm coming up with are either 1) boring 2) offensive 3) same plot, different names 4) a combination of all aforementioned items. Anyone have some recommendations?
Beauty by Robin McKinley was beyond amazing. Anything and everything by Shannon Hale is good. I'm guessing you've read twilight. I'm on a Robin McKinley kick right now because I ran out of things and this is what two friends kept recommending. I just finished blue sword and now I'm reading rose daughter which is a retelling of beauty and the beast that is different than beauty. Everything I want to do is illegal is another good one. Reed is reading that right now though I've read enough summaries to know Reed would like it. I've got the girl who could fly, or whatever that is that I saw you'd just read, sitting on my couch and I'll get to that soon. I'll try to think straight for a second and let you know if I come up with any others.
I recommend The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger by Lois Lowry. And if you want a more religious type book The Peacegiver is amazing! The Fishers of Men series (3 books) is also great. If you let me know what type of books you like, I could try to think of some more.
Yea, I just finished the Kingdom and The Crown trilogy and I definitely LOVED it....one of my favorites of ALL time is Count of Monte Cristo...such a good book 2,000 times better than the movie. I also just finished, "Left to Tell" by Immaculee...it's about Rawanda, interesting.
Oh yeah - you need to read Jane Eyre if you haven't. And, if you have, it's always worth another read! Let me know if you find anything good in your quest! I'm always up for a good book! Oh, and All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (the one we just read for book club). It was funny and clean!
I haven't read it yet, but I have heard that The Graveyard Book is really good. I think it's young adult fiction, so it shouldn't be too offensive. I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Both I found slow, but I'm sure you've already read them. I don't have a real focused attention span when it comes to leisure books though--I figure I have to do enough serious reading in regular life--give me something easy and fun.
8 comments:
Beauty by Robin McKinley was beyond amazing. Anything and everything by Shannon Hale is good. I'm guessing you've read twilight. I'm on a Robin McKinley kick right now because I ran out of things and this is what two friends kept recommending. I just finished blue sword and now I'm reading rose daughter which is a retelling of beauty and the beast that is different than beauty. Everything I want to do is illegal is another good one. Reed is reading that right now though I've read enough summaries to know Reed would like it. I've got the girl who could fly, or whatever that is that I saw you'd just read, sitting on my couch and I'll get to that soon. I'll try to think straight for a second and let you know if I come up with any others.
Here are my all time FAVORITE books:
1. Gone with the Wind-This is about 500 pages so it will keep you busy for while. I was not a big fan of the movie but I loved the book.
2. A Man's Search for Meaning- I dont like holocaust books, but this was an exception. You hear this book quoted in conference all the time.
3. Jane Eyre-It is a little slow at first, but by chapter 3 it starts to get really good.
I hope that helped. Good luck!
Try the Children of the Promise series. It's LDS fiction in WW2 and there's like 5(ish) books in the series so it will keep you busy for a while.
The Work and the Glory ?.. Mmm.. I finally unpacked my books today. I will look thru them and see what I can suggest... how are you ?
I recommend The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger by Lois Lowry. And if you want a more religious type book The Peacegiver is amazing! The Fishers of Men series (3 books) is also great. If you let me know what type of books you like, I could try to think of some more.
Yea, I just finished the Kingdom and The Crown trilogy and I definitely LOVED it....one of my favorites of ALL time is Count of Monte Cristo...such a good book 2,000 times better than the movie. I also just finished, "Left to Tell" by Immaculee...it's about Rawanda, interesting.
Oh yeah - you need to read Jane Eyre if you haven't. And, if you have, it's always worth another read! Let me know if you find anything good in your quest! I'm always up for a good book!
Oh, and All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (the one we just read for book club). It was funny and clean!
I haven't read it yet, but I have heard that The Graveyard Book is really good. I think it's young adult fiction, so it shouldn't be too offensive. I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Both I found slow, but I'm sure you've already read them. I don't have a real focused attention span when it comes to leisure books though--I figure I have to do enough serious reading in regular life--give me something easy and fun.
Post a Comment