Monday, July 21, 2008

Such Sweet Sorrow

As the old saying goes, parting is such sweet sorrow. Unfortunately, I don't see anything sweet about it. Over the last year, Dustin, Michael and I have made friends with some wonderful people--the Lee family. Ryan loves to talk with Dustin about sports, and they serve together in Young Mens. Doug is only a few months older than Michael, but is of such a similar disposition that they were PERFECT playmates for each other. I loved having Doug over because it was actually easier to watch Michael. And then there's Bethany. She is such an inspiration to me--a talented writer, a great mom and a truly good person to the core. We cannot fail to mention their beautiful little girl Kiana for whom I can credit the baby hunger that lead to our fourthcoming son. This week the Lees are moving to Utah.
My one regret is that, being a wholly unsocial people, Dustin and I did not get to know them better. I feel like a little kid who was holding this 10 scoop ice cream cone and only thought to take a few licks before it all melted away. And so it goes.
They will move, and we will try to move on, but as better people for having known them at all. They were only in our lives for a brief time, but it was a good time. And for that , I will be forever grateful.
Michael and Doug watching a squirrel out my back window

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Sad! I hate when great neighbors and friends move away. We had 3 great families move from our neighborhood and I still haven't quite recovered.......Can you come over today? I know it's kinda far....but your mom is coming.....and so is Lori, Keri, and Steven....it won't be the same without you!

Bethany said...

Oh my heck! You are the nicest person in the world! I feel the same way. I am better for knowing you guys! You are such an example to me. Doug too! Who will he run around and scream with for hour at a time now?

I laugh about that semi-social thing just because I am the same way. We were doomed from the get-go.

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Jan and Larry Myers said...

We'll really miss her Sunday when she doesn't teach Relief Society!

karen said...

bethany is a really great person, isn't she.. we all will miss her..
yes, we will have to plan a girl night out to see the twilight movie.. maybe we all can be crazy enough to catch the 1st midnight showing :) :) i'm so hooked to the books.. i already preordered the 4th one ;) who do you hope bella will pick-- jacob or edward?? i vote for edward....

Chris and Tara Mason said...

Aaawww - that little picture of Michael and Doug in their green shirts is sooo cute! We will all miss Bethany - that is for sure!