Thursday, July 3, 2008

Scrapbooking

So it's taken me FOREVER and I am just about ready to finish the first year of Michael's life in scrapbook form. I know it's pathetic, but it's taken me over 2 years do the first 12 months. Granted, there were A LOT of pictures. We took some almost every week. Still. I've got another 14 months to do and only 4 months until the next baby is born and the adventure begins all over again.
Sooo..... can anyone tell me about photo books and digital scrapbooking? Is it more time efficient? What about cost? I really want a scrapbook I can throw up on the shelf and brag on demand with--can I do that with digital scrapbooking?
Thanks for the help!
Oh and P.S. That is NOT a picture of my scrapbook. I was just too lazy to scan a pic of mine in so I borrowed a pic off the internet. I don't want you to have such high (and false) expectations of my scrapbooking abilities :)

3 comments:

karen said...

blurb.com is a good one to put most of your pictures together into a book. i'm doing that of elsa's 1st year for a christmas gift for the grandmas..

Chris said...

I find that I can get a generic album together better digital. It also is easier with kids around. However, if you already have the pictures printed, then it isn't very cost efficient.

I did a price comparison on one page digital, and one page paper, and found that if I do it right at Costco, it costs about the same... but then there are all of those supplies I already own and the pictures I have already printed....

If you want digital to be fast, get some templates, and some kits that match with most of your photos, and put together your pages all at once, like a theme album... then it goes fast. If you do it page by page, with each page having its own theme, it doesn't seem much faster (just cleaner and easier to walk away from and come back to when someone needs your attention!)

You can see some of the "theme" albums I did digitally online on our blog (http://web.mac.com/dewaldfam/Home/Family_Albums/Pages/Disney_06.html and http://web.mac.com/dewaldfam/Home/Family_Albums/Pages/Canada_07_Alphabet.html)

That is the other nice thing about digital... yeah you can print it and have it on your shelf for people who are physically present to look at, but you also can post them online for others. And, you can have multiple copies of an entire album, or just some pages, printed for family members (in the same size or a different size than the one you printed for yourself).

So, that was a really long answer, that basically said... it depends on you, but it can be a time and money saver! If you have specific questions send me an email.

Chris

Chris and Tara Mason said...

Don't feel bad - Daniel is 5 and Ben is 3 - I haven't finished their baby books yet! I'm thinking I should have them done sometime before they graduate - I'm not setting any high expectations here!
And, I like digital better than paper because there is nothing to clean up - you just shut down the computer! Plus, you can get tons of free stuff!