Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two things

First, this scene is becoming more and more familiar around the house. The kid has no controlled muscle movement whatsoever, but he can get that thumb into that mouth faster than anything I've ever seen. I've always been opposed to my children sucking their thumbs, so after I took it out of his mouth for the 20th time, I put a sock over his hand so he couldn't suck it anymore. Why am i opposed you may ask? Because it never ends well. It's cute and very convenient when they're little, but trying to get them out of the habit is a very hard and painful process. Taking away the binkey was bad enough with Michael, but at least I could just throw that away. The thumb is attached. Just to reinforce my previous bias, my sister was telling me that due to thumb sucking, my niece had to get a maxillary expander (a metal bridge on the top of your mouth, which using a turn key, stretches and expands the jaw) and that was a very painful thing.

Next story: I've decided that it's time to put a flower garden in on the front of the house. After Dustin got the old stumps out, I went out to fill the holes and prepare the bed for bulbs. It was very therapeutic work. Imagine this; 65 degrees, no crying children, birds chirping and the rhythmic movement of scoop, dump. Scoop, dump. My neighbors are often out smoking, and I imagine if they were out sitting on their porch this is what they would have seen. Scoop, dump. Scoop, dump. Scoop, scream! HACK HACK HACK with the shovel. Drop shovel. Jump back and prance around on toes while yelling "AHHHH."

I have to say, in that moment I totally sympathized with Indiana Jones. I hate snakes. Especially when they sneak up on you like that. He wasn't very big, and apparently, is NOT poisonous, but would that make you feel better? I didn't think so. When all was said and done I found 5 of these things out there. 5! Good heavens I was running a snake hotel in those holes. Thankfully they're gone now. But I'm thinking of getting a mongoose. Did anyone else read Rikky-Tikki-Tavi? You think it would work?

5 comments:

Shelley said...

You're more of a woman than me...I would have fainted....YUCK!

Angela S said...

Oh my gosh, that would be freaky as all get out. Oh, and I sucked my thumb for 8 yrs. And braces and an expander were required to fix my teeth. It took stops-it a nasty nail polish thing that burns your mouth and the threat of not being able to go camping with my dad (why did that work at 8 but man it won't work now) to get me to stop. When they are small like James its great because they don't have to search for a binky or grab it themselves but I understand the hesitation though. I went back and forth with our boys but neither put their thumb in their mouths more than a dozen time. Try a few different types of binkies to see if you can find one he likes. Jimmy was beyond picky about bottle nipples when we had to stop nursing. Not eating for three days picky. Maybe James is similar. Good luck!

. said...

oh!!! I hate them! I hate them! I hate them!! I would have stopped gardening after I found the first snake. Yuck! I have the heeby jeebys just thinking about it.

Jill M said...

I have the chills, especially because we live so close, they must be in my backyard bushes.

Sarah said...

I always knew you were meaner than you let on!

Papa Mike