Friday, May 15, 2009

The faint of heart should look away....

There I was minding my own business. happily tending to the pumpkins and squash in my garden when.. BAM! My feet are covered in fire ants. My foot is now very red, very swollen and very itchy/stingy feeling. The directions on the back of the pumpkin seeds said to make big mounds to plant the pumpkins in. Well I did. And then not wanting to weed them, I covered them with black weed cover stuff so nothing else would grow. Unbeknown to me the ants had come along and said "look at that! Some idiot piled up a bunch of dirt for us, and provided it with cover! What a perfect place, let's move in and invite all our friends!" And so they did. Which is how it came to be a very , very large mound without me even noticing it.
I am at least grateful that I found the mound and not Michael. He gets bad allergic reactions to stings and bites, so I can only imagine what his little leg would look like if he had made the unfortunate discovery. And at the end of the day I believe that I will live through it. The ants, however, will not. I just dumped whole big bag of ant killer all over those suckers. I'm not sure if my pumpkins will make it, or if they will grow crazy mutant pumpkins now, but what can I say. Revenge is a beautiful thing.

4 comments:

Angela S said...

Ammonia. Seriously get some ammonia and it will take the burn away!

. said...

Yes!!! Kill those ants, make them suffer!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Ouch!So sorry that I don't have any advice to take the pain away! But wiping out that whole colony in a very unholy way HAD to make you feel better!
:~D

Sarah said...

You should ask Dusty to tell you about the dream he had about fire ants when he was in high school. It's kinda funny!