Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Sound of Music

My Dad is an avid gardener. No matter where we live, or what climate he's faced with, he can make anything grow. I have many memories of wandering down rows of vegetables, pulling weeds, watering, and reaping the harvest of such noble labors. All this at my Dad's side. So it's not surprising that once I got into a house of my own I would wish for a garden. There is nothing in the world quite like digging, planting, watering, and then seeing the fruits of so much labor. And man is fresh food good.
Last year, we had just moved into the house and with so many things of the To-do list, the garden just didn't make it. Dustin, in his infinite thoughtfulness surprised me on mother's day by buying me some tomato plants and planting them in a big pot in the back yard. But this year, despite being pregnant, I just had to have a REAL garden. Knowing how hot it gets here, and how huge my belly is going to be, I started small this year with garlic, tomatoes, beans, sugar snap peas, squash and watermelon.
This morning as I went out to weed and water I noticed something. Several somethings (pictured above). My peas are coming in! Immediately my mind started in on a chorus of "The sound of Music." I think that's because seeing something come to fruition like that gives me that same great feeling Maria gets when she runs on mountains and belts out songs. I'm so relieved to see my Dad's gardening abilities have rubbed off on me. So... this one's for you Dad!

3 comments:

Chris and Tara Mason said...

Oh - I'm going to have to come over and take a look at everything when it's starts coming in! Chris and I want to do a garden, but we are idiots when it comes to cultivating plants! You'll have to give me some pointers!

Bethany said...

If you ever have too many veggies and don't know what to do with them...

Tris said...

Seriously, when you get Texas gardening figured out, I think you are going to have a line of people waiting for your expertise! And I will be one of them!