My family has the great tradition of separating all the commercial Easter things (eggs, candy, Easter bunny) from the spiritual side of the holiday. To this end, we started the tradition of a spring party. Ever since I can remember, my siblings and I would eagerly anticipate the Saturday before Easter--the spring party. We would wake up, have an egg-stra special breakfast ( Cheesy, I know, but I couldn't help myself!), and then dye eggs. After we finished that activity, the adults would go outside and hide the eggs. Now to confess truly, I might have peered through the closed curtains a few times, but I never saw anything good. Then the doors were opened and we were off! There were kids flying in every direction in search of our special dyed eggs. Meanwhile, inside, Mom was putting together the easter baskets full of enough candy to make a little girls imagination go giddy. After we made sure all of the eggs were accounted for we dove into our candy with heedless anticipation, making ourselves entirely sick for the rest of the evening. And that, my friends, is how we celebrate spring at the Chalk house.
When Sunday came around, it was about Christ. The one true author and finisher of our salvation. We went to church in our various pastel hues, and spent the afternoons together, finishing with a wonderful Easter dinner celebrating the true reason for the season--the resurrection of our Saviour.
And so the tradition continues.........
1 comment:
Chris and I do the same thing!
Post a Comment