There was a HUGE storm that came through Grapevine last week. Lots of rain and wind so powerful that I thought there was a tornado coming.
And of course, Dustin was gone.
The power went out, and I was talking to Dustin on the phone watching out the window when BAM! the tree I was looking at in the park just snapped in half.

That freaked me out. So I took the boys, the flashlights and the cell phone and we headed into the bathroom for shelter. Within an hour it as all over, and all of us stepped outside to survey the damage. I have to tell you we were immensely blessed. The worst of it for us was our garbage can was knocked over and diapers were strewn across the lawn. But here's a peek at my street.

Just a general mess. On the right side you can see the top a tree that snapped in half (it looks like a big bush or something).

The street sign snapped.

See that big brown gash in the side of the tree? That's where a huge branch used to be. It snapped clean off and now it's blocking the entire road.

We lost quite a few big trees and branches on the street. We lost a branch too, but no damage to the house (thank heavens). Right now, all up and down the streets you see huge stacks of branches and wood at the curb waiting for pick up. Now for the biggest tragedy of all.

These were my huge beautiful, and might I add heavily laden, tomato plants. Fortunately enough, the stems were very flexible and didn't snap. So I spent a few hours setting up big wooden stakes in there and getting them all upright again. I think they're going to pull through.
The next morning, the wind had blown herself out but the rain was endless. We had already gotten 2-3 inches and were expecting that much again. So of course, the backyard started flooding. Dustin stayed home from work that morning to clear out some branches and try to stay the flood from entering the house.

Here's Dustin in his waders and a poncho trying to build a leaf dam for the water to direct it away from the house. You can see the water pouring into our yard from the neighbors.

Here's the mess. That is literally a lake of water in my backyard. And muddy too. Luckily we live on a hill so when Dustin got it channeled properly it just ran into the neighbors yard.
All in all, as I said, we were very blessed. Yes we lost branches, but neighbors lost whole trees. We lost power for a few hours, but our friends a mile down the road lost if for a day and a half. Michael is still asking me if the wind is getting stronger and if the lights are going to turn off again. Poor kid. Hope all of you out there never have to experience this. And for those of you who are here...hope you fared well!
5 comments:
That is crazy! I have necer heard of a storm like that in Grapevine. To top it off, it was beautiful and sunny all last week here.
I am gald you guys are safe and there was no damage to your house.
Sorry about your garden :(
sorry about your garden. glad everyone is ok :) how are you dinner was great. thanks !
Oh man! So sorry you guys got so hammered. We didn't have any flooding or anything--just a snapped slat in our fence.
Hope you had a good time in OKC. We missed you!
This made me think of you. Not because your cakes are wrecks (quite the opposite) but because you are so interested in cake making. http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/
Oh man I'm sorry. We've had constant crazy storms over the last week too. But mercy, that looks scary. I hope your garden makes it through!
Post a Comment