2 posts ago I talked about the Kemah boardwalk where Dustin and I went on our first date. His family was actually living in Kemah at the time. Here's a picture of the drive into the boardwalk after the hurricane. You can see the stop sign down there on the right hand side and that gives you an idea of where the street was.I'm not prone to anxiety attacks, but I do know how to have a good "spaz moment" every once in a while. All day Friday and Saturday was one big spaz moment for me. My family decided to stay in North Houston at my brother's house and wait out the storm. I knew phone lines would be down, and it would be hard to get a hold of them to check in. So I just worried like crazy and prayed so often it would put a nun to shame.
Thankfully they're fine, and they were able to check with a neighbor who stayed behind and it appears the house is OK too. Now they're just trying to deal with the fact that they have no power and their cell service is sporadic at best.
But the biggest wake up call of all for me was Friday before the storm hit when my mom and my sister were thinking of bringing their families up to my house to escape the storm. At the time they were predicting that we were going to be slammed too, and possibly loose power for a while also. That's when it hit me. I was the biggest hypocrite in the world. I just put together this big enrichment activity on being prepared and if these extra 10 people showed up at my house, I just wouldn't have enough. Not enough food, cups, water, toilet paper, flashlights. . . anything. Granted we could break out the good ol' food storage and eat wheat, but how would I cook it without electricity? (Insert spaz moment here.)
I guess this is just what they mean when the scriptures teach "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." And after a healthy dose of fear this weekend, I'm ready to do what needs to be done to be prepared. Wish me luck!
1 comment:
It sounds like you were about to host a party! Maybe you should keep a weeks supply of party items at your house for such occasions! :)
I'm glad to hear that your family is safe and that the house is ok! :)
Post a Comment