Tuesday, June 17, 2008

OOOOOOH, AHHHHHH

Step right up, step right up ladies and gentleman and feast your eyes on this!!! Actually, your eyes will be the ONLY thing feasting on this. A few months ago I was looking at this clove of garlic that was starting to sprout and thought, "Hmmmmm. I wonder if I can make this grow into a big bulb of garlic." And so the seed (or clove rather) was sown and the experiment had begun. It sprouted and grew nicely in the little cup I'd started it in, and with time seemed to need something a little bigger. After a very successful transplant into the garden, the stock shot up and seemed to thrive. Unfortunately, we all know that bulbs and tubers are rather rough to grow because you can't see their progress at all. Heaven only knows if some vindictive worm wriggled up to it and ate it to pieces. After a brief reading on the internet, I discovered that garlic is ready to be harvested when the stock withers and dies. Much to my joy, months later, that actually came to pass. I excitedly dug it from the ground today, anticipating the amazing of array of things I would cook with my ultra fresh garlic. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature garlic and 8 tiny reindeer. OK there were no reindeer involved here, but after starting the sentence that way, I couldn't help myself. Anyway, in a reaction that surprised even myself, I started to laugh. It was sad, but at least it grew. Not bad for a first time gardener. So it is with greatest pride and deepest pleasure that I present to you the culmination of months of watering and wondering--my very first garlic bulb ever grown.

3 comments:

Tris said...

Excellent job on the garlic! Although I have to admit, before I read what your post was about, I saw the picture and thought "OH gross, the pregnant girl is craving garlic and M&M's!!!"

. said...

I am really impressed with your gardening skills! Have you found out the gender of your baby yet?

Lindy said...

Excellent! You have now grown 100% more garlic than I ever have!