Friday, December 3, 2010

Hello Rash, Goodbye Amoxicillin

James had an ear infection two weeks ago so the doctor put him on Amoxicillin. He had it once before as a baby without incident. This time, however, it gave him a rash. As you can see it was the worst on his belly and cheeks and still hasn't quite gone away. The doctor made an "official note" in his record that he is allergic to the entire -icillin family (including penicillin). I am not allergic to anything, and Michael hasn't shown any signs of allergies either. This is all new territory to me. But I am grateful that the rash isn't an itchy one and that the reaction wasn't any worse. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the allergies stop here.

1 comment:

Angela S said...

Ty had never taken an antibiotic before and was on day four with no effects when we spilled some of the liquid on his neck. I wiped it away and the next morning there was a mark there. Over the next few hours the rash spread all over his body. Where it was day four and we were "behind" on immunizations (we waited til he was older to do them) the Dr thought it was measles and we got to go to an infectious disease doctor....so much fun to discover his penicillin allergy! I'm allergic to sulfas (same reaction) but didn't ever remember having the reaction. Good times. Congrats on the new cousin for the kids!