Sunday, August 30, 2009

It Can Be a Cruel World.




I bought lunch today for the homeless man on the left. It was an interesting experience.

I can rarely pass by a "beggar" on the streets without buying the wilted rose (or whatever else they may be peddling). Just the way it is for some reason.

I had a range of feelings. I was at first, as expected, happy that I could help in some small way. That feeling did not last long at all. Then I was concerned for him. As much as I'd like to think that the pizza will help him and I can go on living my blessed life, the truth stands...for him, tomorrow it will be as if I didn't do anything.

Did I really help? I feel the weight of his situation. What could I have done?

When I handed him his pizza, he didn't respond with a "thank you" or any acknowledgment at all. He just promptly turned and walked away. It didn't bother me. That's when the reality of the situation really hit me.

The man needed real help and all I did was give him some pizza.

--Dustin

P.S. I did not take the picture.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

At least you did something. I think we all feel that way...helpless.

. said...

Hmm......... Let's be honest, I generally re-lock my doors, roll up my windows look forward and drive a little faster.

Sarah said...

How did you get that picture, anyway?